Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Woodgate



October 21, 2009

Well we finally got away for a couple of days so thought I better see if I can add to the Blog.

We arrived yesterday about 11-00am and are staying at the Caravan park for two nights.

Yesterday afternoon I had my first attempt at beach detecting. First found a lure (no Hook) and then a couple of bits of cheap jewellery. My wife came back from walking on the beach and suggested we try in front of the change sheds about a kilometre up the beach. We drove there (I don't do walks much) and after about half an hour found a 1916 Half Penny. Very exciting but not worth a lot, especially after many years of salty surrounds.

This morning, I had another try and found my first decimal coin, twenty cents, colour of copper,
and 1999 vintage. It's gunna be a long time until retirement at this rate.

Had another detect this afternoon and found two 10cent coins and a bit more junk jewellery.

Tomorrow we will head off and go west from Childers along the Isis Highway, and look around the small townships on the way to Biggenden and Broweena.

October 22, 2009

Left Woodgate about 8:00am and took the Isis Highway from Childers heading towards Biggenden. About 18k from Biggenden was a sign for Paradise Dam so we decided to have a look. Very nice. They have camping sites with Toilets (Long Drop) but no power, so we are staying the night. Threw a lure around for a while but I guess we should have been here last week.

We were the only ones here at 10:00am but now have the company of a pair on a Motorbike with trailer, a couple of campervans and a family in a tent. Very quiet. Very dry.

There are the remains of a couple of gold mines on some walking trails so might have a quick detect tomorrow before we head home.



October 23, 2009

Well we did not get to detect today, left early, 7:30am, then on to Biggenden and a fuel stop. Next place of interest was Brooweena, with a sawmill I never knew existed. I have driven past the sign to here many times so thought it time we had a peek. Very small village, we only drove around then carried on through Yerra and stopped in Mungar for smoko. Then via Tiaro and home about 11:00am.




It was great to get away for a few days.


No comments:

Post a Comment