G'Day,
This is a test run for me to learn a bit about the Blogging business.
We have already done some travelling, down the WA coast in 2002 and Great Ocean Road last year (2008) as well as to Karumba in 2007.
We have a Hyundai Terracan CRDi and Roadstar Trakvan.
A few months ago I fitted a Diesel Heater (Eberspacher)
so I am keen to free camp somewhere to try it out properly.
I also have fitted a Morningstar Suresine 300 watt Inverter which runs all we need when free camping, including TV, computer etc. We do not have Solar yet as it is hard to justify the expense for the amount of travelling we do at this stage. We carry a Satellite Dish for TV and have a GME AE915 aerial for the NextG Blue Modem for the internet. It will also connect to the mobile phone but we use the MyNetFone VoIP connection through our Laptop computer, as it is cheaper and easier in my opinion.
I have the Inverter set up to be powered through an Anderson Plug from the Terracan when we are travelling, and this runs the Battery Charger so that the battery is properly charged. Full charge is not possible using just the vehicle charging system alone. Usually the battery is charged after a couple of hours running or even less, depending on usage the night before.
I have altered the seating arrangement from the standard "L" shape to allow more freedom of movement around the van, to the bedside and to the dining seat in particular.
We have the standard 3-Way van fridge which is a bit of a worry when in a really hot climate but I have fitted a computer fan at the back to aid air circulation and have also fitted a small fan inside the fridge to circulate the cold air and this seems to be very effective at stopping the lettuce etc from freezing when the fridge is set at a cold 1°C, as I am fond of a cold beer on a hot day. I also placed Glass Wool Insulation on both sides and top of the fridge but have not tried it out properly as yet.
The fridge uses surprisingly little gas so I replaced the two 9kg gas bottles with two 4.5kg which removed a bit of weight from the tow-ball. We have never yet had to get a gas bottle filled while we were away so I do not envisage any problems there.
That should be enough for a test. Maybe next post will tell of some more travells.
Let me know what you think if you like.
Waz
Hi Waz,
ReplyDeleteThis is John P, just leaving a comment to see if I can do it.
I like the blog. You are off to a flying start!
Hi Waz,
ReplyDeleteThis is John P, just trying to leave a comment to see if I can do it.
I like the blog, you are off to a flying start.
Cheers,
John P